America, Eavesdropping, life lessons, Marriage, random, Untitled

“I don’t think we’d have a good marriage if I told him everything. I’m his only morale booster”

America, Food, life, Marriage

How I Make Dinner

My experiences in grocery shopping was limited to driving my mother to the store and later, pushing around the cart while she did the shopping. After moving out (and being married) I have to do my own grocery shopping. Living in the Bay Area it isn’t hard to find an Indian store. You’ve just got to follow the saree clad Aunty and she will lead you right to it.

I love the store we go to. They always play old Lata Mangeshkar and Mohammed Rafi songs. My mum listens to these songs endlessly when she cooks. So now every time I’m at the store I feel like she is next to me shouting at me for picking up the wrong tomato . The only veggies I know how to make reasonably enough are okra and potato, and the staple of any Indian kitchen onions and tomatoes. So I made them for a few weeks oblivious to the fact that there were other vegetables in the world.

One fine day we were sick of okra and potatoes. Jay was being spontaneous and picked out a random vegetable. We didn’t know what it was called. So we did a Google image search (thanks technology!) and found that it was Bottle Gourd. Another Google search later we figured out what we could do with it. And thus lunch was made.

As a novice in the kitchen, I would be right where I started if it wasn’t for technology. But I have now surpassed my own expectations. While I’m not yet a wizard in the kitchen, I can cook a tasty meal to survive. I have to give credit where credit is due and I thank all the amazing food bloggers who help me make dinner. If it weren’t for you, this household would just be a Maggi fest all day everyday. So thank you Nags from cookingandme, The Pioneer Woman and Haathi from Hungry and Excited for doing what you do.

Standard
Uncategorized

It’s time…

I have always been a Blogger fan girl. It is where I started my first blog and from there on I got to read hundreds of wonderful blogs. WordPress always seemed like the opposite of Blogger, something I would never do. It looked awfully plain and morose, in my eyes. Blogger was the fun, younger sibling.

The past few months I’ve experienced a writer’s block like no other. Ideas slipped out of mind, I could not form one sensible sentence and all my best ideas came to me while I was sleeping. Like, in my dream I’d think of something and be all “Homaigod, best idea ever”. I would tell myself to remember it and by the time I woke up, the idea would be, but a dream. I struggled with this for a quite a while and eventually just gave up.

Lately I’ve also been reading new blogs just to gather inspiration. I was feeling very insipid and needed a change very badly. I needed newer grounds to conquer, cleaner pastures. Basically, I just wanted to get to the other side, where, I heard the grass always seemed greener. Considering how I am on the cusp of new things and new opportunities are seeking me I thought it was time to document that in a newer place. That is how this WordPress site was born.

I chose the name ‘Maybe In Madras’ because Madras is my baby, my city of love. I hate to refer to it as Chennai, although that is the correct Tamil name. But Madras reminds me of beauty, of old world charms and of dreams that found it’s way in to the heart of the city. Madras inspired me to dream. She also reminded me to never stop. So here is to the city that molded me in to the person I am.

“Life happens in a certain place for a certain time. But there is a great surplus left over, and where will we stow it but in out dreams.”

– Solo, by Rana Dasgupta

Standard