America, Eating Out, Food, life

Reliving a sugar high

Oh Americans and your funny foods!

I’ve seen and heard a lot about this popular ice cream place called CREAM. Since my sweet tooth is in no condition to give up I just HAD to try it. Soon enough they opened a store close to where I live and they gave free ice cream sandwiches the opening night. I couldn’t go ’cause the crowds were insane but I did go the next Friday. Considering the hugeness of the ice cream sandwich I decided to have dessert first before dinner because of this rule that I follow.

So we walked to CREAM (cardio, you know) and I chose two chocolate chip cookies with a huge scoop of pecan ice cream in-between. The cookies were warm and chewy and the ice cream was okay. But talk about getting a sugar high, this thing had me buzzing! Of course my speech wasn’t slurring from the sugar high like it did that time I ate a huge bag of gummy worms. But it was evident that the sugar had got to me.

These kinds of food amuses me. I’d rather have just cookie on its own or a scoop of ice cream.

Kids, stay away from ice cream sandwiches.

image-10

Standard
America, Food, random

I Talk to Myself

“What shall we have for breakfast?”

“You want dosa?”

“Mmm.. don’t feel like dosa.”

“Here have a banana.”

“No. I want something else.”

“There is nothing else. Don’t have breakfast.”

“But I’m hungry.”

“Just eat something and stop annoying me.”

“I feel like French toast. There’s some old white bread.”

“No white bread. You should stop eating, you fatso!”

“So French toast with some butter and powdered sugar will be good.”

“Fatty!”

“But I haven’t had buttered toast in forever!”

“Its okay. No breakfast.”

“French toast!”

“No!”

“Butter!”

“Fatty!”

“Sugar!”

“No!”

“French toast!”

“NO!”

“French toast!”

“NO!”

“FRENCH TOAST!!!”

“Okay.”

***

I had French toast for breakfast.

image-8

Standard
America, Food, random

Sugar? Sugar.

How is my sugar-less February going? Okay, firstly I decided I’m not entirely off sugar. I do add half a teaspoon or so in my tea. I planned to give up chocolates, cookies, muffins, cakes, dessert, you know all the good stuff. On Saturday though I did indulge in a blueberry muffin. They are my new favorites now – blueberry muffins. And I did eat an entire Cliff bar because there won’t anything else and I was hungry.

This week I will try to stick to the half a teaspoon sugar and cut out the energy bar. I have an unopened box of coconut cookies calling out my name but I plan to resist the urge. Fruits have been such a savior though. Natural sugars are so much more sweeter than artificial sugars! I had the most sweets apple the other day for dessert and a huge bunch of grapes yesterday. I love grapes. They make me so happy.

I hope the fruits keep me on the right track!

Standard
America, Food, January Blogathon

Day 24 – Sugar

I have a few mini goals that I’d like to accomplish. I decide I won’t tell them to anyone (even The H) because every time I say I’m going to do something I end up not doing it. This time around I decided that in order to really push myself and make sure I do it, I will publish it on the Interwebz for the world to see. I will at least stick to my guns out of embarrassment.

I have decided to stay off sugar for a month. Pre marriage days I had a great diet. I didn’t eat any kind of sweets, reduced sugar in my tea, cut out the carbs and exercised a whole lot. But after the wedding with the stress of moving to a new place and finding that the new place was filled with delightful treats, all the clean eating went right out the window. Over the past year my diet has fluctuated a lot. I felt pretty good before I went to the Motherland for a vacation. I was reasonably okay while I was there too. But I came back home with suitcases filled with deep fried goodies and a huge load of sweets. I then proceeded to finish off everything diligently. Now I am lugging around an extra few pounds that I could do without. The first day I decided to stop the eating and start the exercising I tripped over my own feet and sprained my ankle. Murphy’s Law literally rules my life.

So I’ve finally decided that I will start off with one thing at a time. The first round is exercising and cutting out sugar for  a month. Since I intend to start this regime from Monday, I ended this week with two absolutely, mind-numbingly delicious cupcakes from Fairy Cupcakes. I honestly cannot stress how perfect they are.

Here’s to a sugar-free (and hopefully not cranky ’cause we already have PMS and God knows, if anything brings on the cranky its that) month!

Standard
America, college, Food, January Blogathon, life

Day 12 – Meals

My college used to have the BEST meals. Rice, sambar, kaara kozhambu, rasam, poriyal and one appalam – bliss. My friends and I used to eat in the canteen almost every other day. Some days the cook would be in a good mood and the kaara kozhambu would taste so good. Also, because it was a Muslim university they would serve biriyani every friday. They would run out of it within the first ten minutes of opening but if you did manage to get a plate then you’d know how tasty it was.
Meals is probably the best thing ever although you’d snooze in class after a good lunch. But here all they have for lunch are pasta, pizza and sandwiches. This never bothered me until now when I’m in a university environment and I’m reminded of my college, the canteen and inevitably the meals. And it doesn’t help that my friend is texting me about some drool worthy ‘fish meals’ she had in Manglore.
Sarvana Bhavan needs to have a spot on this campus.

Standard
America, Bhaarath Mahaan, Eating Out, Food, life, madras, Travel

A Tale of Three Cities

I just finished making dinner (stir fry from left over rice). I have my steaming cup of lemon grass green tea and I’m listening to Frank Sinatra on loud. I haven’t felt this relaxed in weeks. I just returned from a month long trip back to the mother ship and to the flashy city of Dubai. That’s the first word that comes in to my head when I think Dubai – flashy.

My Madras vacation was amazing but it went by far too quickly it was almost like it never happened. I ate some delicious comfort food, caught up with my extra large family and met my beautiful girls. I did some shopping too although it was very restrictive because of airline rules regarding baggage (annoying!).

Madras was gorgeous, not the same as I left her but that’s a post for another day.

Dubai was flashy. I ate unhealthy amounts of food. Like really unhealthy I’m so ashamed of myself when I think about it now. I did all the usual touristy things there is to do. The one thing that always gets me about Dubai is that while its fancy and modern it has no charm to it. Maybe its just me cause I have really strong “feelings” about certain things and that’s what drives me.

California is as gorgeous as ever. Cold and windy but I love it. I love the nature and the beautiful skies that I get to see here everyday. Every time I look up at the beautiful blue sky it never fails to remind me to send a little note of thanks to Him. I love how the small things around remind me of a greater presence. I’m so thankful I live here, eat good food and have everything I need and more. We don’t need to look too far to search for the blessings in our life. Blessings are all around us.

Now that I’m done with the ‘Thought for the Day’ can we all take a moment to appreciate how friggin’ amazing Frank Sinatra sounds? Every time I listen to his deep voice I get goosebumps! If only singers are as classy now. Take a note, Justin Beibers of the world.

I will be back with more stories. Don’t miss me too much, Interwebz!

Standard
America, Eating Out, Food, life, life lessons

Twenty four

Yesterday I turned twenty four. A year older. A year wiser? I surely hope so. I want to feel wiser and smarter but its taking me baby steps to get there. Year after year I try to work on how I present myself. I try to be a good person to others. But I forget to work on me. And me has been needing a lot of “me” time lately. For a long time I’ve struggled with the person I am. I was confused about what was expected of me. I was continuously pleasing people around me, ignoring what I wanted. By the time I could get that idea out of my head it had become a habit that was hard to shake off.

Now I am trying my hardest to take the reins of my life in my own hands. And I want to ride fast and strong. I don’t want to stop. I don’t want that number to tell me what I’m supposed to do right now.

Here’s to a positive year with nothing but happiness and sunshine, something I need a lot of in my life right now.

***

I declare October first Annual Cheesecake Day. Every year on my birthday I intend to eat a slice of cheesecake. Last year it was a Godiva chocolate cheesecake. This year – dulce de leche cheesecake with almonds and crunchy caramel bits. It was beauty in a take out box.

Standard