America, Eating Out, Food, life, Marriage, random, The H, Weekends

Weekend Shenanigans – Part Deux

I’m not big on Hallmark holidays but once I heard that Friday was National Donut Day (yeah, its a thing) I had to get some donut in to my system. We woke up bright and easily on Saturday, excited to try out a local donut shop called Stan’s Donut and it was such a disappointment. I had to erase that memory of the bad donut so Sunday evening we went to a good ol’ donut corporation – Krispy Kreme and I had my favorite original glazed chocolate donut. To further quell my greed I had two more. Go ahead and judge me. It was worth it.

image_4

image_5

*****

I have this terrible sickness where if I start watching a tv show or a movie I have to watch it till the end no matter how terrible it is. This past couple of months I painfully sat though Desperate Housewives. It was so exhausting but I HAD to know what happens in the end. Now I am watching the last season of Beverly Hills that I stopped while I was in college with a bit of 30 Rock on the side. I’m itching to watch Orange is The New Black but waiting for my finals to end before I get sucked in to that vortex.

*****

A couple of nights back in order to save the mutton from getting burnt Jay mutilated my tea vessel to place it inside the pressure cooker. I haven’t had my Lipton tea in two days now and I’m going just the tiniest bit insane. Speaking of tea, Oprah came up with a new tea. Starbucks sells it, so if you want one you have to ask for an “Oprah Chai Tea Latte”. Its a mouthful. N is a huge Oprah fan so I tried the tea for her sake. It tasted like sugar water with ground cloves. Americans have such average taste buds. They should taste my mother’s ginger tea. It’s so good that she could mass manufacture it.

image_2

Standard
America, Food, Random Things of Interest

I’m in The Hindu!

So not many of you know but I’ve been trying my hand at Instagram cooking videos for the past couple of months. I’m no fabulous cook but I get a kick out of trying. My wonderful friend who works for The Hindu decided to feature me and a few other Instagram cooks as her first story for the MetroPlus. I am such a huge fan of The Hindu and it has always been my dream to be in it. So check me out in todays MetroPlus and here’s the link to the online version. You can also follow me on Instagram @zarinem.

MP_22-05-2014_Chennai_CITY_0008_Sec.A___Q_163028-page-001

Standard
America, Eating Out, Food, life

Reliving a sugar high

Oh Americans and your funny foods!

I’ve seen and heard a lot about this popular ice cream place called CREAM. Since my sweet tooth is in no condition to give up I just HAD to try it. Soon enough they opened a store close to where I live and they gave free ice cream sandwiches the opening night. I couldn’t go ’cause the crowds were insane but I did go the next Friday. Considering the hugeness of the ice cream sandwich I decided to have dessert first before dinner because of this rule that I follow.

So we walked to CREAM (cardio, you know) and I chose two chocolate chip cookies with a huge scoop of pecan ice cream in-between. The cookies were warm and chewy and the ice cream was okay. But talk about getting a sugar high, this thing had me buzzing! Of course my speech wasn’t slurring from the sugar high like it did that time I ate a huge bag of gummy worms. But it was evident that the sugar had got to me.

These kinds of food amuses me. I’d rather have just cookie on its own or a scoop of ice cream.

Kids, stay away from ice cream sandwiches.

image-10

Standard
America, Food, random

I Talk to Myself

“What shall we have for breakfast?”

“You want dosa?”

“Mmm.. don’t feel like dosa.”

“Here have a banana.”

“No. I want something else.”

“There is nothing else. Don’t have breakfast.”

“But I’m hungry.”

“Just eat something and stop annoying me.”

“I feel like French toast. There’s some old white bread.”

“No white bread. You should stop eating, you fatso!”

“So French toast with some butter and powdered sugar will be good.”

“Fatty!”

“But I haven’t had buttered toast in forever!”

“Its okay. No breakfast.”

“French toast!”

“No!”

“Butter!”

“Fatty!”

“Sugar!”

“No!”

“French toast!”

“NO!”

“French toast!”

“NO!”

“FRENCH TOAST!!!”

“Okay.”

***

I had French toast for breakfast.

image-8

Standard
America, Food, random

Sugar? Sugar.

How is my sugar-less February going? Okay, firstly I decided I’m not entirely off sugar. I do add half a teaspoon or so in my tea. I planned to give up chocolates, cookies, muffins, cakes, dessert, you know all the good stuff. On Saturday though I did indulge in a blueberry muffin. They are my new favorites now – blueberry muffins. And I did eat an entire Cliff bar because there won’t anything else and I was hungry.

This week I will try to stick to the half a teaspoon sugar and cut out the energy bar. I have an unopened box of coconut cookies calling out my name but I plan to resist the urge. Fruits have been such a savior though. Natural sugars are so much more sweeter than artificial sugars! I had the most sweets apple the other day for dessert and a huge bunch of grapes yesterday. I love grapes. They make me so happy.

I hope the fruits keep me on the right track!

Standard