America, awards, life, Uncategorized

Liebster!

Thanks to PrincessButter for nominating me for the Liebster award.

Here are the answers to your questions :

1) What is the significance behind your blog name/title?

I wanted to name my blog to represent ‘me’. So cheesy. I love Madras and I miss it every day. So I named my blog Maybe in Madras, because who knows, one day I might move back.

2) What inspired you to start blogging?

I used to stalk a lot of blogs back in the old days. One day I decided okay, I have something to say too. And so it begun.

3) In your list of pictures, how many selfies?

Almost every day I send no less than three selfies to my friends back home. Not glamourous, pouty lipped selfies but wake up in the morning, bed head selfies. We keep it real.

I also do a selfie movie. Like each picture represents one scene in the movie I am showing my friend. Just last night I did a horror movie selfie series.

4) Name a place in India and one abroad you really want to visit.

I desperately want to visit Mumbai. I’ve been only once and I’d love to go again. And abroad it would be – Mykonos, Greece. Never been but always wanted to visit.

5) What is your daytime job when you are not moonlighting as a ‘city vigilante’, err, or a blogger? (Sorry, just saw Spiderman2)

My daytime job is full time graduate student and wife.

6) What is the most amazing thing and the most annoying thing about yourself?

The most amazing thing about myself.. I can watch Netflix 24/7. Annoying thing, ask Jay. He has a big list. But what annoys me is my procrastination. It is a struggle.

7) What is the most amazing thing and the most annoying thing about the opposite sex?

Amazing thing is that when they’re nice, they are genuinely nice. Annoying thing is sometimes they just don’t listen.

8) Everyone asks about love. I want to know how important do you think lust is in a relationship?

I’d say not too much. A relationship is more than just lust.

9)What is your biggest guilty pleasure?

Right now, Desperate Housewives.

10) How much time do you take to get ready for work?

If I have classes I take about twenty minutes. Else it takes me about half an hour.

11)Last but not the least, where and how do you see yourself in ten years from now?

I see myself happy, successful and content with my life, God willing.

Now I’d love to pass on the tag to other bloggers but PrincessButter has already tagged them! So if any of you want to do this tag then go ahead! You’re all winners! Also, thanks girl!

liebster-award

Standard
college, grad school, life, life lessons

Fake it till you make it

A few months in to grad school and the one thing I have found that you are expected to do in most classes is a presentation. Now, coming from India, the land of mugging up and Engineering colleges, I have only given two presentations in my undergraduate career. But now I have the perfect formula for giving presentations. Having written my share of Anna University exams I found that the strategy that I applied to semester exams in under grad works perfectly in this context. So here are my go points while giving any presentation:

ACT LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT

This is the primary strategy with which we answered Anna University exams. Even if you know only the bare minimum, build on it. It might be gibberish to your ears, but believe in it. Have the confidence that you know exactly what you’re saying.

ACT LIKE THE AUDIENCE DOESN’T KNOW WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT

Those poor people listening to you talk! They are imbeciles! YOU have to educate THEM. That’s the mantra that should go on inside your head.

FAKE IT

How you present yourself is important. If you are feeling unconfident, fake yourself in to thinking you’re the best. That sounds like some weird reverse psychology, I know, but listen to this amazing Ted Talk by Amy Cuddy. You will approach things with a new perspective.

Now for some practical tips:

  • Bullet points, keywords and flashcards are your friends. Embrace them.
  • Do not hold a piece of paper in your hand and refer to it every chance you get. I used to do that a lot and it was no help.
  • Practice a gazillion times. Preferably in front of the mirror.
  • And the best advice anyone ever gave me: “Act like you own the room  world.” Trust me, it always works.
Standard
America, life, life lessons, random

Comebacks

PSA: This is a public service announcement requesting for smartass comebacks.

Have you guys ever been in a situation where someone says something mean to you and your mouth is open but your brain doesn’t act fast enough to come up with a smart retort but you still open your mouth and its just… air.

I’ve been in this situation far too many times than I’d like to admit. Growing up with an older brother we’d always have a battle of words and I would have the worst comebacks.

Brother: “God Zarine, you’re so fat! You’re like the Playstation game – Little Fat Princess!!”

Me: “Shut up! You’re a little fat princess!!”

Seriously, thats the best I can do. Call me a name and I will call you the SAME name, Say something meant to me and I will just say, ” You…”

Another scenario is where I think of a comeback two days after the insult has been thrown at me. So its like the usual routine – wake up, brush teeth, have breakfast, take a shower and then KABOOM! I got it! I have a comeback now, 48 hours later, and it doesn’t even matter anymore.

I’d really like to change this aspect in my life, guys. I don’t want to get burned anymore. I’ve been burnt so much that I’m blackened toast (Haha! Sorry, had to that, please don’t go).

So please, share your best comebacks, people!

Standard
America, Eating Out, Food, life

Reliving a sugar high

Oh Americans and your funny foods!

I’ve seen and heard a lot about this popular ice cream place called CREAM. Since my sweet tooth is in no condition to give up I just HAD to try it. Soon enough they opened a store close to where I live and they gave free ice cream sandwiches the opening night. I couldn’t go ’cause the crowds were insane but I did go the next Friday. Considering the hugeness of the ice cream sandwich I decided to have dessert first before dinner because of this rule that I follow.

So we walked to CREAM (cardio, you know) and I chose two chocolate chip cookies with a huge scoop of pecan ice cream in-between. The cookies were warm and chewy and the ice cream was okay. But talk about getting a sugar high, this thing had me buzzing! Of course my speech wasn’t slurring from the sugar high like it did that time I ate a huge bag of gummy worms. But it was evident that the sugar had got to me.

These kinds of food amuses me. I’d rather have just cookie on its own or a scoop of ice cream.

Kids, stay away from ice cream sandwiches.

image-10

Standard
America, life

Cuteness is the cure for all fears

You guys, I’ve just discovered something. Remember how I had self diagnosed cynophobia? Well, I think I THINK its safe to say that I may have overcome that just a teeny tiny bit.

I’ve seen too many cute dogs here. Okay, Indian street dogs are cute too, my friend who is a savior for all animals. Just yesterday I saw the tiniest, cutest little Yorkie and he/she was walking slowly like a little old man and my heart just exploded! I really wanted to go and pet the dog! ME! If you know me then you’d know how hard it is to even have that thought enter my head.

The huge, bear like dogs still terrify me but I’m okay with Yorkies and Hush Puppies. When I say I’m okay I mean I don’t recoil in fear when a dog is walking on the opposite side and I don’t push people in front of me for protection.

Still have the irrefutable fear that I would get bit in the butt by the dog behind me.

I don’t think I will get over this fear anytime soon though.

Standard
America, life, Marriage, random

Here, There and Everywhere

I never thought I’d ever say this but domesticity is starting to suit me. Sure, there are days when I just want to veg out on the couch watching Netflix and eating from a never ending bag of Cheetos but, there are days when cleaning and cooking feels comforting.

One of my favorite things to do is vacuuming the floor and laundry (not folding the laundry but just dumping clothes in to the washer). I love the luxury of not thinking that these menial tasks offer. I do dishes to the sound of Netflix. I’m watching Parenthood right now. Not as good as Gossip Girl reruns but it will do. I enjoy fresh bed spreads a little too much. What I do not enjoy as much is cleaning the bathroom. I think I have every kind of toilet cleaning liquid manufactured. Cleaning products are my crack. I miss throwing water around bathrooms like we could in India.

I need to get some cleaning wipes to wipe down my leather couch. Suggestions are welcome.

I need to load some dishes in to the dish washer. Can you do it for me?

While you’re at it, can you clean the kitchen?

I need to put the clothes inside the dryer. But I don’t want to get off my couch.

Also, need to buy dish washing liquid. The tangerine flavored liquid is awesome.

End domesticity.

Standard
Black and White, life, movies, random

Highway

I finally watched ‘Highway’ over the weekend. I loved the movie, the locations, everything. The underlying message of the movie was so subtle yet so strong. I love how they treated something as scary as sexual abuse with such a delicate hand. It wasn’t got through hurriedly. Apart from just entertainment, this is what movies are supposed to. They are supposed to open our eyes and help us discuss issues which we’d rather not talk about because its not polite.

Silencing victims of sexual abuse is probably the most cowardly thing to do. Imagine going through life with no one to actually hear what you are saying, subconsciously pressing the mute button when your insides are raging and screaming.

Opening up to someone about the abuse us definitely not easy. Opening up is reliving it, it is digging up stories that were safely buried. If someone comes to you wanting to talk about this, listen to them. They trusted you out of all the other people in their life. They trusted you would understand, that you would help them and that you’d realize why they are who they are.

Everyone deserves a voice. And everyone deserves to be heard.

Standard